Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sitting in McCarren

CES is over (for me) and now I have the rest of 2008 to recover and get ready for next year (although my performance was so stellar this year, I actually might not get invited back). This marks the first year I didn't have booth duty, so I spent the majority of the show staffing interviews, setting up at press events/parties or walking (if you can call the crawl with which show traffic moves walking) the show floor. Samsung and LG were really impressive. I remember a CTIA a couple years back where LG had a tiny little presence, and now their booth rivaled some of the other big dogs - very impressive.

I spoke at CES this year, sitting on a panel about taking the blogosphere seriously - not a huge turn out for the panel, but I actually really enjoyed the chat. Jerry of Jerry's Juice Bar (and fellow Longhorn) was on the panel along with Ryan Block (hmmm, what blog does he write for, I can't remember) and Pete with Buzz Metrics. I really enjoyed some of the other stories shared by panelists and I REALLY enjoy watching the way people react to Ryan Block. It is kind of like watching Walt walk through the Pep-Com event - people just go crazy and get a little star struck. Mostly I liked walking around the show with my speaker badge. Next year I might register as a blogger - perhaps every year I should try to have a different badge title.

Now I am waiting in the sports bar for my delayed flight considering a job move to an industry far removed from the world of consumer electronics...I'll let you know if I come up with anything interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blair, I enjoyed your insights at the CES session - thanks! Here in Canada even fewer people take the blogosphere seriously so it was great to get some tips from south of the border.

You are exactly right the 2 major questions to ask if a company is going to blog is a) is it right for my company and b) can we dedicate the time. These are the first things I ask potential blog clients too!.