Monday, August 20, 2007

In a world gone mad...

I love print magazines. Love them, love them, love them. I spend a large portion of my day on Monday reading through the vast array of print magazines we subscribe to. It is interesting to note that some of the folks in Iowa are warming up to Giuliani, but others find his three marriages to be a problem and that 'several decades of sexual liberation and feminism and a decade of Internet dating' has led to the demise of the romantic movie (TIME). I am glad to see that Max Levchin isn't going to just stop working after selling Paypal for 1.5 billion in 2002, oh no, he is working on a way to make money off of the Widget (which, btw, my mother just asked me what the hell a widget is and if she needs them - I told her no, sorry Max) and I am sad to see that only about 60% of the population in New Orleans proper has returned since Katrina (FORTUNE). A friend of mine, 30 years old and HUGE fan of High School Musical, would have loved to find out 'Why do kids love Zac Efron?' and my younger sister was very interested in 'how schools are failing our smartest kids' - she is pretty smart and she doesn't feel as if she has been failed (TIME, again). BusinessWeek is focused on the 'Future of Work' and has poll results that are fabulously interesting. Fortune Small Business is in love with Babson University (came in tops on most of their 'America's Best Colleges for Entrepreneurs' lists). Fast Company covers how green Wal-Mart really is and the 16 year old CEO of WhateverLife.com, who makes me jealous (she is worth a LOT of money) and sad (she dropped out of high school) at the same time.

In a world obsessed with online coverage, blogs and INSTANT news, I think there is still a place for the print magazine. And while it is sad to see them fail (Business2.0) or get progressively smaller and shorter (Red Herring, TIME), reading the ones we get is the highlight of my Monday, every week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was pretty surprised to see Steve Rubel's faux pas, but I guess we all make mistakes (though I've heard that wasn't his first one in that area?). I think this is one example of where this whole "new media" thing has gone to a PR pro's head and they forget that ALL media is of importance to the right audience.

Anonymous said...

I liked the BusinessWeek poll too. 6% of respondents have accidentally called their boss "Mom" or "Dad".

blair said...

I KNOW! That was my favorite part. I would never admit to it - even if it happened.