Friday, August 17, 2007

Twitter, I hardly knew ya...

Well, in all honestly, I don't know you at all. I don't understand twitter's appeal, and with a new social media (new media, social networking, etc.) tool introduced every 2.5 hours or so, you have to pick and choose - and I decided no twitter. I think this was a pretty good decision because I keep hearing people say they have found the 'next' twitter or a 'better' twitter. However, others have embraced it full heartily - and I have two examples of how it has hampered rather than enhanced their online experience. First, on Tuesday, Robert Scoble announced he was taking some time off blogging because, among other reasons, he went to review his twitter account and realized the content he was pushing out was 'angry, confrontational, disturbed, hurt, dismayed' and he wants to make the world a better place, not compete in the adolescent toned playground that has become tech blogging. Good for Scoble - of course, I am a little sad, cause I read him fairly regularly, but still, good for him.

The next example is an oldy but a goody. Back in April Steve Rubel of Edleman (much better blogger than I) twittered that he always throws away his free subscription to PC Mag, thus pissing off Jim Louderback and in the end, having to apologize on his own blog. Probably not the best week for Steve.

I think twitter is like the writing on the bathroom stall walls at a truck stop. And while it will probably be around for a while yet, I am fairly positive some other social media company will come along and throw a layer of kilz on the one sentence ramblings of twitter. And another one bites the dust.

UPDATE: Scoble's article in Fast Company this month discusses Twitter and how it is going to take over the world. Hmmm, how ironic.

UPDATE 2: Scoble is already blogging again. I guess he didn't mean it (which is a shame) - he better watch out or he will become the boy who cried wolf. And we all know what happened to him. People TOTALLY stopped reading his blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post on Twitter. I know I'm old, but I completely DO NOT get it - what do I care when other people are going to the grocery store or standing in line at the post office or not doing any work at all?? I understand the idea of community, but sometimes it's just a bit too much (this coming from the woman who doesn't go outside if her neighbors are out there for fear of having to talk to them when I've got other stuff I need to be doing ;-)). Geez, perhaps I'm a bit anti-social...