Sunday, June 24, 2007

Chris Locke and Brad Pitt

As I tumble down the rabbit hole of blogging (I’m not sure one post qualifies as a tumble, but whatever), I have gathered about me the blogging bibles (starting with Cluetrain, but kind of reading Naked Conversations concurrently) in an effort to better understand exactly what it is I am getting myself involved in. I have to say I really like Chris Locke. I am not 100% sure I agree with the idea that blogs are allowing real conversation as opposed to just broadcasting company messaging – sure, they are changing the tone of the conversation and the way the message is coming across, but the messaging is still there – and it is still all about sales. Even as I write this blog, I do my best to make it interesting – selling myself, if you will – to recruit readers. Regardless, I like Chris – he has quite a snarky tone to his writing and I am a big fan of snarky. I am also a big fan of my sister-in-law. Jocelyn is a civil engineer, well-educated, fairly tech-savvy girl – she also happens to know her way around a snarky comment. However, the thing I like most about her is that as I told her about my week and mentioned my new blog and the books I am reading, she said, “Chris who? I’ve never even heard of ‘Cluetrain Manifesto’, what the hell is that? OH – did you see that Brad Pitt compared Angelina Jolie to Churchill – what an idiot.”

It is always nice to get some outside perspective on the thing you are obsessing over.

No comments: