Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jeez - stop telling me what to do

Newsweek has a list of 181 things I need to know now (print and online - the online version sucks a bit). They also have a quiz to test my global IQ - turns out I am a global idiot. I have a bit of a bone to pick with the quiz though, cause I am fairly certain I don't need to know which presidential candidate is the richest. I know they all have more money than me - the rest is just details. I also don't have time to take a 130 question quiz. Well, I have time, but if I don't get a question right every other one or so, my motivation is going to go out the window. Newsweek, stop trying to make me feel stupid so I will religiously read your publication as to not feel stupid anymore. It is mean spirited.

Not to be outdone, PC World has a list of the
100 best blogs. Now, they aren't going so far as to say you need to read all of them, but it is certainly implied. First off, I am not on the list - and that kind of pisses me off (not a lot, cause I understand, but come on - I have been doing this for a week, when does the recognition start?). Second, the list included GeekSugar, which bills itself as a home for tech savvy young women - I would consider myself a tech savvy young woman and the, I don't know, five minutes I spent on the site literally made my skin crawl - so I don't think it would be a home for me (Cari, the one with the curly hair above, validated my reaction by making a face when I mentioned them). PC World, stop telling me what I have to read - it is too much.

Besides, if I spent all my time reading Newsweek and perusing all 100 blogs PC World likes, I never would have had time to read about
Takeru Kobayashi's arthritic jaw. Damnit, I know an important story when I see it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here's my question - I know you've said this project is "part of your job" but how in the world do you have time to do a job? I'm not being facetious because I have the same question for all bloggers, podcasters, Twitter'ers, Second Lifers, etc. - when do you have time for your first life? And WHAT are the rest of us to do to keep up with all of this stuff? Perhaps a topic for another blog...